According to legend, Mackinac Island was created by the Great Hare, Michabou and was the first land to appear after the recession of the Great Flood.
The island was a gathering place for the local tribes where their offerings were made to Gitche Manitou and was where tribal chiefs were buried.
A mission was founded for the Native Americans on Mackinac Island in 1670 by the Jesuit priest Claude Dablon. Ignace by the missionary and explorer Jacques Marquette.
The entire Straits area was officially acquired by the United States through the Treaty of Paris in 1783, but the British forces did not leave the Great Lakes area until after Jay's Treaty in 1794.
Courtesy Photo A private buyer is purchasing The Armed Sloop Welcome, a replica of the ship used to sail the Great Lakes during the fur trading era.
The sale of the ship to a Mackinaw City business owner was approved earlier in March.
For history of the general area, see Michilimackinac.
The island was home to an Odawa settlement before European exploration began in the 17th century.